Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Catching up on mail and questions!

I've had a few question in the comments and in my E-mail and now seems a good time to get to them before I completely collapse for the evening.
I'll start with Jennifer, who asked how many days a week do I stitch?
Usually about 5 or 6, if at all possible, however lately things are chaotic and busier than usual so sometimes not as often. When I'm having a flare-up or, like when my back mysteriously whacked out, not at all.

There are a couple of questions about the patterns I stitch. Mostly HAED's, at the moment, that is from Heaven and Earth Designs. I love fantasy art, and the classics and HAED is very reasonable on their patterns. I've also got a GK, or Golden Kite I'm working on. GK's are beautiful patterns, but pricier than HAED's. They are  probably worth it, but it isn't usually something I can afford. They are also all from classic paintings, I assume so the owner won't have to pay licensing fees, which sometimes makes the prices hard to take.  Both of these shops have great community Bulletin boards associated with them, with some really wonderful people on them.

There is a pattern from Scarlet quince I'd love to have but they don't do downloads. I also (even though I don't need it yet) find their pricing on enlarged pages to be outrageous. I've never ordered from them so I can't say how they are to do business with. Mystic stitch has some great ones to, but I haven't ordered from them either.

There was a question How do I get free charts? They are all over the internet and there are a lot of them out there. Cheryl's bouquet, for instance, was a free chart. When your on a budget the free charts can be life savers. I also have an old collection of cross stitch magazines that I've stitched several things from. All of the sites listed above have at least one free offering, though HAED is definitely leader of the pack here with a big selection of wonderful free patterns for you to try.

If you are referring to RAK's, I didn't do a thing. I got my first one last year and was thrilled, but didn't expect another. The others that came this year were each and every one a complete surprise. They are simply the gifts of generous hearts. I hope to send out a ton of them myself one day because it makes you feel really great when you get one. I imagine it feels really good to give one to. My husband even got his favorite and I promise you he didn't have to do anything. People are just really nice.

Winning one is also possible, though I never have won one I've tried on Face Book, and on stitchy blogs when someone has a give away. At the moment I don't need a new chart, but that doesn't stop me from loving them and trying to win.

Bobbie asks How do you kit up a large chart? This is a good one since the craft stores are about half an hour away so I don't get there as often as I'd like. Since Walmart has begun carrying the most popular floss colors again I head there first and collect what they have on my list, then I save up and head out to Hobby Lobby or Michael's, where the floss is higher, and fill in the colors I need. I used stash fabric until this year, when it finally started to run out, and now I again, save up and wait for at least a 30% off coupon, better if it is 40 or 50, or for a good sale, and then I buy it.  You can see why I haven't started every lovely chart I have, all of this takes time, but the anticipation is half the fun.

OK, I'm tired of typing. LOL, If I missed a question I'll get it answered soon.

Happy stitching Wednesday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I'd wondered about the companies myself, and how to go about getting everything together for a huge project.

Anonymous said...

I saw Soul Mates being worked full sized and wondered if you are concerned about the detail level in the mini you are working?

Anonymous said...

Are there any patterns you are scared to tackle. That you really want to I mean? I've seen one or two that really make me think, is there any possibility I'll ever finish this? I love that you are answering questions on here. So often I see something on a blog and don't ask cause I figure they'll never take the time to answer.

Jilly

Mama Dog said...

I am a little bit concerned about doing the mini of Soul Mates. I've seen her being worked full sized to and she is wonderful. But I knew when I decided to change her from full sized to mini on my WL that there would be some loss of detail. I will just have to wait and see.

Jilly, Knock at the door, recently released by HAED, comes to mind, that is a seriously big chart. I love the colors, the little animals etc. but stitching it? And since I stitch on larger ct, where would I find the fabric. Still, never say never, I put it on my WL. Maybe it will be released as a mini, in which case it will still be the size of a BAP.